Lobby your representatives
Here are the steps:
- Learn who your TD(s) is/are on this Oireachtas Members Database.
(Links to websites are provided, emails addresses can be found in the contact area of each website).
- Send an email to your TD(s) (Suggestion for text below).
- CC the following Ministers who have directly responsiblity for stem cell legislation, research and education:
Minister Responsible for Research is
Sean Sherlock TD
Minister of State, Department of Enterprise, Jobs & Innovation and Department of Education & Skills with responsibility for Research & Innovation
Tel: 022 53523 | Mobile: 087 7402057
Minister Responsible for Health is
Dr James Reilly TD
Tel: 01 6354000
Minister responsible for Education is
Ruairi Quinn TD
Tel: 01 6183434
- ALL Letters and emails should include: Your full name and address and contact details
- ALL Letters should be headed with: Your full name and address and contact details, as well as those of the recipient.
- TD's should be addressed as Deputy + Last Name
#1: Stem Cell Law
I write to you as a registered voter to urge you to legislate for stem cell research in Ireland. This was promised in the program for government. The current void of legislation puts Irish patients at unnecessary risk and expense, deters investment and expertise coming to Ireland, allows the general public to be easily confused about stem cells, and impairs Ireland's capacity to do internationally competitive R&D in a growing number of areas.
[Your own full name and address and contact details]
#2: Stem Cell Basics on the Biology Cirriculum
I write to ask you to put rudimentary stem cell biology on the Junior Cert and Leaving Cert Biology Curricula. The technology is at the centre of many biomedical pursuits including drug screening and cell replacement therapies. Irish students and the public need to know the basics.
[Your own name and address and contact details]